rotating banner

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

#1 - Reddish Egret; Oak Island, NC

Reddish Egret - Oak Island, NC; 8/16/2009
I wasn't at all interested in birds til a couple of years ago, when I decided to take an Ornithology class my last semester of college. I saw my spark bird there (more on that later) and from there, it was game on! I got a lot of life birds that semester, and yet, this Reddish Egret I found on vacation in southeast North Carolina is more special than any of them. It was the first life bird I ID'd by myself outside of that class, and even then I'd almost written it off as a juvenile Tricolored Heron or a juvenile Little Blue Heron before figuring out its true identity, and I'm glad I did! To this day, it remains one of my favorite life birds, and is overall a pretty uncommon bird here in North Carolina.

No comments:

Post a Comment